Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Homemade granola bars

I've been trying to come up with new healthier snacks for the girls. It's been pretty fun. This morning, I let the girls watch an episode of Wonder Pets, and I whipped up these no-bake granola bars. It seriously only took the amount of time it takes a guinea pig, duckling and turtle to save a flamingo to make these. In case you don't use that kind of time comparison, this is really quick.
The only issue I ran into is that they didn't hold together all that well (see picture below).  Maybe creamy peanut butter would work better?  I think I'll add just a tad more of both the pb and honey next time.  If you try it, let me know your results!  As for my results, the girls HORSED these, even after they had just finished a snack of string cheese, crackers and hummus.  In other words: BIG SUCCESS!


Here's the recipe:
1/2 cup peanut butter (I used crunchy)
1/3 cup honey
1/2 tsp vanilla

1 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup crisp rice cereal
1/4 cup raisins
2 handfuls M&Ms
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp cocoa

Heat pb, honey and vanilla over medium heat until pb is melted.

Meanwhile, mix all other ingredients together in a bowl. When pb mix I'd melted, dump it over the other stuff. Mix then press into an 8x8 baking dish.

Let it sit till cooled.

Devour! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments more than I love buying new fabric, and that's saying something. :)